Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day

It's funny how St. Patrick's Day has evolved for us. Where it used to be a day of beer drinking, it's now a chance to do fun art projects and encourage the kids' imagination!  And to be honest, I think it's a lot more fun now.  There is just something magical about seeing the wonder and excitement through the eyes of innocent children...
I love that Carter still believes in things (Santa Claus, leprechauns, etc.) and gets so jazzed to celebrate.

Kennedy had her "green day" on Tuesday.  I couldn't believe that this was the only green thing in her closet.  I love green, it's one of my favorite colors to wear, but Kennedy's wardrobe is lacking a little.  Even in a 2T shirt, she managed to look cute!

I found a few cute and simple ideas on Pinterest that the kids could help me make.
First up - pretzel &chocolate treats for friends, teachers and classmates.

Some ribbon and cute (free!) printables and I thought we had a nice little gift.
Carter had a great time helping me and did such a good job.  Both kids helped to sort the green M&Ms and unwrap the Hershey kisses, but Carter loved assembling them, as well.

Next up was a fruit loop (or fruit hoops as Kennedy calls them) rainbow craft.  I decided to do this one for a number of reasons.  #1 being that I love fruit loops but obviously never buy them, this gave me a justifiable excuse.  #2 was the fact that I thought it was a craft that had a little bit of educational value, as well.  The kids sorted their cereal by color and then put them in order of the rainbow.


Finished product!
I helped draw the pot o' gold, but then the kids used glitter glue (always fun!) to add a little sparkle.

Cute, don't you think?

On Friday night, Carter decided he wanted to build a leprechaun trap.  Nothing too impressive, just some Tupperware and a marker with his rainbow craft as bait.  We had a lengthy discussion as to what leprechauns prefer to eat...I wasn't too sure.

Here's the note that Carter wrote to accompany his trap:
"We will let you go if you will leave 8 pieces of gold"

And those silly leprechauns did come...leaving only gold chocolate coins, much to Carter's disappointment.  They also left glitter and messes throughout the house.  The kids loved it!

Forgot to flush!

Took a bath and then left a couple of coins as a payment.
They also disrupted the kitchen - stacking up cups, turning over chairs, turning the milk green and leaving a trail of glitter. 
Their redeeming gesture - they brought the kids Lucky Charms - a huge hit!

Happy St. Patrick's Day from our little leprechauns to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment