Friday, March 16, 2012

9 years!

Our story is a good one, I think...and as I look back, I am absolutely certain that God's timing and plan was perfect.  Even though Linfield is a tiny college and Kyle and I were both active in the Greek system, we didn't meet until my senior year when he moved into the apartment next door.  Perfect timing.  We had a lot of fun, dated other people, did a little studying and were at a great spot to start a more "serious" relationship when we met.  From the first glance at (a shirtless) Kyle, I knew that I wanted to get to know him better.  Really, who wouldn't, he was so cute?!?  We attended a party together and went on our first official date (a Kevin Bacon movie) a couple of weeks later.  I knew pretty quickly that this relationship was different and special.  It wasn't always smooth sailing, but we had a lot of fun and fell very much in love.
And as we celebrated our ninth year of marriage today, I can honestly say that I found the perfect man for me.  He is a calming balance to my somewhat high strung self, he offers rational perspective, isn't easily agitated and is always loving. His love is something that I count on and have never doubted.  Marriage is a not a sprint, it's a marathon, and there are days that are harder than others, it's certainly not always easy, but I am so thankful to have a husband who is faithful, loyal, loving and patient. 

And here's a look at our journey together...
Fall of 1999
We'd only been dating a few months by this point...I kind of think we look exactly the same, am I delusional?

Alpha Phi informal
You'll notice a trend if you look at our college pictures - we were often in crazy clothes or funny hats.  My girlfriends and I were notorious for dressing up and parading around campus.  Such innocent fun.  I loved those days!

Spring of 2000
Theta Chi Red Ox
Yep, it's a big ol' barn dance and it was a ton of fun.  I just laugh at the frequency of my overall wearing.  Overalls...to a party?  And I confess this wasn't the first time. 



March 15th, 2003
Happy then, happier still...
I love this picture and I loved everything about that day!
I often find my mind wandering on Sunday mornings at church, thinking back to this special day.  We were calm and so joyful...so completely ready to start our life together.  It was emotional and fun.  We were surrounded by our friends and family and made a promise to God and each other.  I wouldn't change a thing.
And so began our life together as husband and wife...here's a little look at the places we've been.

First stop, our honeymoon to Fiji!

We stayed at a beautiful, secluded, relaxing resort and enjoyed every minute together.  We went scuba diving, had lobster dinners, laid in the sun, read, snorkeled, attempted (and failed) to kayak around our little island and talked about our dreams for the future.

The following year we headed to Disneyland with friends.  Kyle hadn't been since he was a kid and we had such a great time together!

Here we are in the waters of the Caribbean.  We wanted to take a special trip before we started a family, and we decided to take a cruise to the eastern part of the Caribbean.  Still one of the best weeks of my life.  We had so much fun, got to see four different island nations, dress up for fancy dinners, relax poolside and meet new people.  It was the perfect combination of relaxation and adventure.

We've managed a few trips to San Francisco to visit Kyle's sister.  This trip was especially memorable, because both Stacy and I were pregnant.  It was also fun, because Stacy and Justin lived in the heart of the city and we were able to do a lot of the fun, touristy things.  Carter was a pretty easy traveller and was at such a fun age.  This was a very happy time.

Every other year we are fortunate enough to head down to Cabo San Lucas with Kyle's family for a week vacation.  We have been three times and each time gets better!  I can't imagine how nice it will be to go next year and have both kids out of cribs, done with diapers and naps and able to swim on their own!  We might actually get to relax.  Oh the thought!

And our best adventure...two healthy, spunky, smart and beautiful little ones that God has blessed us with.


So, after nine years here is where we are in life - Thankful for our healthly family, happily employed during this time of economic unrest, struggling at times to raise our strong willed children, growing in our faith together and counting our blessings!

Kyle and I were able to celebrate our anniversary on Sunday evening.  Ken and Diane were gracious enough to watch the kids so we could enjoy a few hours together.  We ran a few errands (and we asked ourselves when running errands alone began to feel like such a luxury?) and then had a wonderful dinner.  We lingered over drinks and appetizers, took our time eating our meal and talked.  We planned and dreamed and had fun thinking about our future. 

Happy 9th Anniversary!

Cheers! 
To many more!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Katie, I love, love, love this post!! How fun to see all these pictures and hear a bit more about your love story and life before I met you. I may have to steal the idea as our anniversary is coming up soon. I just need to figure out how to scan pictures! We are so blessed to have your family in our lives!
    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing you and Kyle in your college days! So great! I laughed at your overalls because I had a pair too! I thought they were so cute! Can you imagine?! :) Love the photo taken on your wedding day of the two of you laughing. What a lovely tribute to your marriage ~ fun memories, and sentiments that I'm sure Carter and Kennedy will cherish some day. You have a beautiful life, indeed.

    ReplyDelete