Monday, June 25, 2012

a little Japanese influence

Oh boy, I am behind.  Kind of feeling a little behind in life at the moment, but I know that if I don't take a few seconds to update the blog, it'll be August and I won't have recorded a thing!  Sometimes a long "to-do" list just gets to me and I don't know where to start.  So, I'm starting by capturing a few memories of June before the month is over!

Carter studied Japan during his last month of school.  They did lots of fun things, like wearing a "uniform" (dark pants and a white shirt) and attending class without shoes one day.  They learned Japanese words, ate various snacks with chopsticks, folded Origami and studied art from Japan.  Carter was most fascinated by the super fast train in Japan and about how the Japanese people eat exclusively with chopsticks.  He practiced at home during meals and had a lot of fun honing this particular skill.
During his unit on Japan, I happened upon a Groupon for a local Benihana style Japanese restaurant.  I thought the kids would enjoy the experience and like the food too.  Carter had such a great time!  He was very curious and so interested in the chef and the meal preparation.  His four course meal was eaten mainly with chopsticks and he ate everything.  It really was a fun evening for us all.

I was super impressed by how well Carter ate his rice with is chopsticks.  There was a little mess on our table when we left, but overall a very successful attempt!


Kennedy tried out her chopsticks, as well.
If nothing else, she had fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment