Monday, November 4, 2013

First Day of School ~ 2013

First day of school ~ 2013
We have a second grader and a kindergartner this year and everyone was so excited to start school!
a festive table and a special breakfast to help kick off the day



and of course, I had to torture them with oodles of pictures before we could head off to school.  Kennedy's first day was actually two days later, but I dressed her up so we could take pictures together.  I had purchased this dress last year for her to wear on her first day of kindergarten, but since the private school she is attending requires uniforms, I knew she wouldn't be able to wear it then.  Hopefully it still fits next year!

my loves

Carter
Nearly 7 1/2 and starting 2nd grade
His teacher is Mrs. Hanson at Grass Valley Elementary
His favorite subject is math
And when he grows up he wants to be a pilot
 
Kennedy
5 years old and a kindergartner this year
Her teacher is Mrs. Bader at Camas Christian Academy
Her favorite thing to do at school is art
When she grows up she wants to be an artist

I have so many hopes and prayers for this upcoming school year.  Above all, I pray that Carter and Kennedy enjoy learning and love going to school each day.  I hope that they will be good friends to their classmates, showing kindness and tolerance.  I hope that they will discover new passions and nurture current favorites, too.  I pray that they will respect their teachers, their peers and themselves ~ having pride in their work, giving grace and humility when there are conflicts, sharing their talents and accepting help from others and always trying their best.  I am excited for this year, excited to see where their paths will take them and where God will lead them.  I love you two with all of my heart and am so proud of you both.  May this new school year be the best one yet!

 
heading off...looking so big and grown up!
I was a little sad that he didn't want me to drive him on his first day, but I am also thankful that he's confident enough to board the bus and head off for his first day independently.  There are so many things about Carter that just make me extremely proud!

one last picture of my darling girl

I couldn't imagine a better way to spend my day than shopping and lunch with my best girl.
I know it was hard for her to watch Carter head off to school two days before she got to start, but it was made easier by a fun morning with mama!
 
a little ice cream sundae makes everything better!
 
Kennedy's actual first day of school
She's a kindergartner!
She began school on a Thursday which is a PE day, so she was in her "gym" outfit.  I can't tell you how hard it was to send her off on her very first day of school in navy yoga pants!  (I know it's ridiculous, I really do)  There are definitely pluses to her uniform requirements, but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss dressing her in cute outfits each day.  I know these days of ruffles and bows are short lived...hopefully she'll still love to wear dresses next year!

walking in with Daddy, ready to start school!

my girl
growing up too fast...
I had to walk out of her classroom rather quickly because the tears were threatening to escape and I didn't want her to see me cry.  It was such a bittersweet day for me.  I was so proud of her for walking into a new school without hesitation, I was thrilled to see her excitement for this new chapter in her life, but I was also so sad to know that the majority of my days would be spent away from her.  Her school day is a long one and I knew that I would miss her dearly.
Thankfully I was able to spend my first morning with my dearest friend, Kathy.  I was so much better than being alone!  We were able to enjoy coffee and just talk, which certainly helped the hours pass more quickly.  I have a very ambitious list of things I would like to accomplish this year, although I can honestly say that the hours pass much more quickly than I could have imagined!  My cupboards are still disorganized and clutter continues to abound but I'll keep working on it, making the most of these hours away from my precious little ones.

1 comment:

  1. Loved being part of this day with you...you are a wonderful Mama, and you have precious kids. Happy to get to share these milestones with you and I look forward to sharing many, many more with you! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete