Monday, September 23, 2013

Summer Road Trip ~1st stop Medford~

We aren't a family who normally drives too far for vacation, but we decided to try out a road trip this summer and it was great!  We loaded up the car, full of snacks, books, movies and every other thing that could possibly entertain the children, and headed south on I-5 ~ destination San Francisco!
Our dear friends, the Williams', live in Medford, so it was the perfect opportunity to spend some time together.  Kyle was able to work, visiting clients in Southern Oregon, while the kids and I had a blast with our friends!

This was the scene shortly after we arrived...they were SO happy to see one another.  I love these little ones and am so very thankful for our time together.

 
 
 
Unfortunately, southern Oregon was experiencing horrific forest fires, so we weren't able to go outside.  It was so sad, because the weather is always sunny and there is so much to do outside.  And as you can tell from the pictures above, our kiddos had a ton of energy and could have used the outdoor room to run!  Instead we decided to take them bowling...but first:
 
The kids had spilled a bag of candy in the entry way, so I opened up the closet to get the vacuum out. 
And this is what I saw:
oh. my. word.
It was a giant bug, which at first I thought was a cockroach but thankfully it wasn't.  Also it wasn't moving, so I figured we had a few seconds to devise a plan of action.  Meanwhile, the kids are freaking out (think lots of squealing and screaming), Ali is about ready to have a heart attack and I'm not at all certain that I have the guts to trap this beast.  I wonder if there is a neighbor we could call...then one of the children shouts, "we need a daddy to come help us!"  And I just knew I had to show them that a mama could handle a big, disgusting bug too.  We got a cup, I plopped it on top of the bug and slid it out with a lid on top.  We put it outside on the table, just so Kyle and Jeff could see it and be proud of us.  Sadly, I don't think they were nearly as impressed with us as we were with ourselves.  Carter said I was awesome, so really what else did I need.  Crisis averted.

Ick.
 
Bowling here we come:
 
love them. 
so much.

Carter was up

these two have such a special friendship...wish so much they lived closer.

the whole gang!
Luke (4), Carter (7), Emilia (7), Kennedy (5) and Drew (1)
 
I can't begin to express our gratitude for this time together and for the Williams' wonderful hospitality.  We had a wonderful dinner, a beautiful breakfast, hours to talk and play and just quality time to be together.  It is visit that we will certainly treasure.  Ali is one of my very dearest friends ~ she lives her life full of faith and love and she is beautiful inside and out.  She is a fabulous mother, a supportive wife, a generous friend and woman of God.  We could talk for hours and still never run out of things to say (we were up well past 2:00 AM and could have found another dozen topics to discuss, I am sure).  And we always have so much fun together.  I know that I am a better person because I have her in my life!  What a blessing she is!

love.
 

This is how bad the air quality was from the smoke.  We were just south of Medford, on our way to California, and the smoke was so thick we had to slow down to about 30 mph on the freeway.  It was crazy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment