Tuesday, September 10, 2013

our day at American Girl

I think from the moment I found out I was having a little girl, I have been waiting to take her to the American Girl store.  I read these books as a child (think they came out when I was in fifth grade or so), but my parents felt I was too old at that point to get a very expensive doll.  It didn't help that I didn't play with dolls all that much, either.  But I loved the stories.  I loved learning about different time periods, experiencing adventures with girls who seemed so real and so fun.  The books are well written and the stories wonderful ~ and the dolls are amazing! 
So last year Kennedy became interested in the dolls, too.  She had seen a catalog and became mildly obsessed with Caroline.  I didn't want to rush into buying her something that she wasn't quite old enough to take care of.  I figured if she really still wanted the doll (seven months later), we'd get it for her fifth birthday.  Turning 5 is a big deal in our house...we took Carter to Great Wolf Lodge for his 5th birthday, so we decided a fun adventure up to Seattle and the American Girl store would be a great way to celebrate Kennedy's special birthday. 
Kennedy was SO excited...she talked about our upcoming trip all the time and couldn't wait to get Caroline. 
Finally the day arrived...we were here!
And the store did not disappoint, it was wonderful!  Full of dolls, lots of pink and a darling little cafe where we enjoyed lunch.  Again, I am quite certain that Nana and I enjoyed our time as much as Kennedy!
 
It was so special to have Nana come with us...we are so grateful for her enthusiasm and willingness to come along and help make these events special.


the Caroline display was right in front (she is the newest doll), so we had to take some time and really study all of her clothes and accessories.
Thanks to the generosity of family and friends, Kennedy had several gift cards and was able to purchase almost all of Caroline's outfits.  Nana bought Caroline's bed for Kennedy's birthday, so there are just a few things left to get in her collection.
 
And to make our day even more special, by sheer luck, Ali and Emi were up in Seattle too.  (they live in Medford so we don't see them nearly as often as we'd like)  Carter was thrilled to have Emi there to play with and getting to watch both girls burst with excitement over their new dolls was so very special.  Ali is one of my dearest friends and I was so thankful to share this experience with her.  We had to laugh that we could never have planned and executed a trip to Seattle, but felt so blessed by the coincidence.  We didn't know until the night before that we were both there...such a fun way to spend our day!

Kennedy posing with Saige, the girl of the year

A quick stop at Starbucks before the shopping spree began.
Can I just tell you how much I love these two? 
I could watch them play and talk for hours.  They have always had such an incredible bond ~ I truly believe it is a gift from God.  They are the cutest!
They were so thrilled to see one another, lots of hugs and laughing!

see what a mean?
such sweet friends...their smiles couldn't get any bigger!

some quick photos with Caroline

These pictures are a bit out of order but I can't figure out how to change it, so I'm just going to go with it.
Ali and I...enjoying our few hours of time together.
Such a sweet, unexpected blessing!

Getting a lesson on how to do the dolls' hair

Nana, we love you!
I am so fortunate to have such a loving, fun and involved mom.  She has always been there for me and has provided such a loving example of how to be a mother.  One thing I have never doubted is how much my mom loves me, she is a gem.  And she's one amazing Nana, too.

a very special day with my girl

Caroline got to join us for lunch...
she had her own little chair and her own table setting, too.
They do a great job making the whole experience so much fun!

We worked up quite an appetite shopping...and then it was time for a special birthday lunch in the cafe. Again, so much pink! We were thrilled!

a sweet pink drink for my girl

and some special treats to celebrate her birthday!
 
A truly amazing day! 
Kennedy, I hope you always remember this day and know that you are loved on your birthday and every other day, too!  I hope you have years and years of fun with Caroline and that she always holds a special place in your heart!


1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet day! I'm sure this will always be a special memory for the 3 of you. I'm so glad your mom could join you and you could share this together!

    ReplyDelete