Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Special Mommy Daughter Day

While Carter was at school for a full day on Wednesday, Kennedy and I took a special trip to the zoo. It was a beautiful, sunny day and I thoroughly enjoyed our special time together. It's not often that we have several hours to just enjoy...no errands to run, groceries to buy, laundry to do or house to clean, just uninterrupted fun! It was great to explore the zoo at Kennedy's pace, as well. We go often, but the two kids are usually running in different directions or have different attention spans for the various animals. Today was all about Kennedy and Mommy!


Self portrait in front of the giraffes. Kennedy declared this graceful animal as her favorite of the day.
Excited to see the water shoot up from the geyser.

Not quite as tall as a sun bear


The orangutans are new to our zoo, and I've always found them to be fascinating animals. This sight was somewhat heartbreaking for me (and one of the reasons that I sometimes struggle at the zoo. My mom is the same and it's why we didn't visit the zoo as frequently go growing up), she just looked so sad. Her eyes were so expressive and she seemed to be looking at the children with a longing to be outside those walls. Definitely the hardest part about seeing animals in captivity. I always feel the same way with the chimps.

Monks being a monkey with the elephants


The proverbial photos on the statues...I wonder if there will ever come a time when the kids don't want to play on these neat statues? The best part is that I am almost always guaranteed a good picture!


Making music with the African instruments



No comments:

Post a Comment