Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Advent Season

All too frequently the real meaning of Christmas gets lost in the business of the holiday season.  We have really tried to put the focus on the coming of Christ, celebrating Advent.  It's so easy for children (and some adults too) to be consumed with thoughts of gifts and their wants.  Kyle and I hope to instill in the kids that they are fortunate and blessed and that it is an honor to help those less fortunate.
Our church has a great event on the first Sunday of Advent each year.  We gather together, make Advent wreaths for home and then get a chance to dress up and recreate the manger scene.  Last year, Kennedy refused to be a part of things, so I was pleased that she wanted to dress up.  I was hoping for an angel, but I do believe she makes a very darling little cow!  Carter chose a Wiseman costume, and Kyle and I were Mary and Joseph. 

 Merry Christmas!

 Before church, I had to snap a quick picture of the kids.  I felt okay putting them in some of their holiday clothes, since it was technically the start of the Christmas season. 

Carter loved clipping branches and greenery for our wreath.  Once he was finished with cutting, though, he was pretty disengaged from the rest of the activity. 

Finished product
I was proud of Kyle and the kids for making a beautiful wreath for our table.  I was upstairs and didn't get to help this year, but they did a wonderful job. 

And what would an event be without a little silliness?
Enjoying some yummy snacks and fellowship 

Cuteness

No comments:

Post a Comment