Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cabo ~ Dolphin Day

When I was young, I dreamed of being a dolphin trainer...working at Sea World and playing with those amazing creatures every day.  Marine Science was a direction I looked into during college, but it just seemed a bit too impractical for me.  Would I really be able to train dolphins at Sea World?  I digress, let's just say that I've always had a desire to swim with dolphins and I was just biding my time until one of the children was old enough and wanted to do it too.  On our third day in Cabo, we took off and explored the marina ~ I knew there is a dolphin adventure place at the very end, and Carter had expressed interest so we ventured over and checked it out.  Once we were there, both Carter and I were sold!  How could Kyle say no to both of us?  He couldn't :)  
So, as soon as we got back to the hotel we talked with the concierge about signing us up.  I was so, so excited!  
Getting to see the dolphins swim by was so cool!

Not only did Carter get to encounter dolphins, but he got to hold a beautiful parrot, too.
Where did my cautious boy go?

amazing!

The next day, we headed back over to Cabo Adventures and got all checked in for our dolphin swim.  
I think Carter was pretty nervous, but he hid it well.  I was so excited I could barely stand it!

Dressed and ready to go!

All Kennedy cared about was getting a stuffed animal.  She had little to no desire to swim with the dolphins and when they offered her the chance to pet one, she shyly declined.  I have to say, I was a bit surprised.  She's usually quite fearless

Daddy and Kennedy happily watched from the viewing area

After our 45 minute swim
It was SO awesome!  I think I may have floated out of the pool...it was such an amazing experience.  And to get to share it with Carter, feeling him shake with excitement and smile from ear to ear, was priceless.  I just felt so very thankful that we are able to share such incredible memories with our children.  We are fortunate and so very blessed.

Carter, always on the hunt for facts, also enjoyed learning a lot about dolphins.  He asked great questions and learned how much she weighed (~450 pounds), how tall she was (~8 feet), how many teeth she had (80), etc.  Oh and an Orca is the biggest type of dolphin.  Who knew?

Carter and me with our dolphin, Ende.  She was such a sweet, gentle, beautiful animal.  Not only did we get to pet her, we each swam around the pool with her (me clinging to her dorsal and Carter belly to belly), danced with her, fed her a fish and got a sloppy kiss.  I wish so much that we would have been able to bring our own cameras up to the viewing area, but at $25 each our one token photo was all we got!
Truly a dream come true for me!  
A day I will never forget!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is awesome!!! What a great, great memory and dream come true!

    ReplyDelete